2015/08/06

Spin Fast

Relax. Spin Fast. Ride Trikes.   That's the advice from America's largest (and best IMO) retailer of recumbent tricycles, Utah Trikes.  

In July I took delivery of my new wheels - a recumbent tricycle.   Built by German company  HP Velotechnik, it's a foldable model called a "Gekko FX 26".   26 is for the large wheel in the back.

I will still retain my Raleigh, Yamaha electric PAS, and Brompton folding bikes, each of which has a special purpose for me.  The Gekko is a blast to ride though and will be mostly "just for fun".

I ordered it with mud fenders (it rains a lot here), two rear view mirrors, and an aluminum rack.   I have since equipped it with a flag for added visability, bright dual tail lights and a bright headlight (though I don't plan to ride it at night), an air horn, and a cycling computer.   I also purchsed a windscreen, separately, which I will add in the winter to keep cold air and rain off of me.

Along with the 26 inch rear wheel, 3 gears up front and 8 in back mean I can take hills as well as cruise at whatever speed my legs will deliver.


The light weight aluminum frame keeps the Gekko FX 26 well under 40 lbs.



The recumbent riding posture improves power to the pedals and puts an end to saddle pain, back aches, and sore wrists that one may get on a "diamond frame" bike.

 

K takes the Gekko for a spin.  Judging by the smile on her face, I may have to get her one too!  Since they fold, we could fit two of them in her car.
While I do see upright trikes here on occasion, there aren't many recumbent trikes in Japan as yet. I expect that to change.  There is already a bike shop headquartered in Kyoto which specializes in recumbent bikes and trikes, and which has several other locations between there and Tokyo.  Also, one trike manufacturer from the USA has set up shop in Japan.

As for Momo the Wonder Dog, she's not interested in cars, bikes, trikes, or sailboats.  She'd rather just watch us while she lays in the shade of the pomegranate tree or on her front porch deck. 

Momo in her summer cut.  Almost time for a trim.

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

That looks like a very nice ride. You are still looking great too, so well done!

I had a biking mishap recently that degraded the performance of my knee. I know recumbents are better for the back but do you notice a difference with your knees? If so, it might be a good longer term solution for me.

(Google gave me an error message. Sorry if this is a double post)

Pandabonium said...

Thanks, Snabby. I'm still eating 100% plant based food and SOS free (salt, oil, sugar). Blood pressure is now normal. Still have a few kilos to lose.

Recumbents use different muscles than uprights and are usually easier on the knees. Of course adjusting the length for your height and leg length is important as with a regular bike. However, there is a different style that goes with riding the recumbent. If you find yourself "stomping" on the pedals, shift to an easier gear and spin faster rather than push harder. I think we get into the habit of using our weight to push ahead on an upright bike and that doesn't work on a recumbent. "Relax. Spin Fast." is good advice here.

I don't ride long distances on any of my toys - about 12km being the farthest I may go in one stretch - the longest ride I've taken on the Gekko is 5 km to the hardware store to get a city registration sticker, and back. So, I haven't had a problem with my knees on uprights or the trike (knock on wood).

Terra Trikes has a good forum and this topic is addressed somewhere on it. You might search there.

By the way, K commented today on how nice your blogger profile portrait looks. I have to agree.

Martin J Frid said...

I like the look of your trike - it looks sturdy, and hrm, very German! Built to last. Wishing you many happy trips!

Pandabonium said...

Thanks Martin! Like Curd Jürgens' character, Von Stolberg, says in "The Enemy Below", "We build 'em good in Germany, eh Heine?"

I rode it 10 km yesterday. A lot of fun. It gets a lot of stares as nobody has ever seen such a contraption in these parts before.