2011/11/17

Morning Cup Of What?

We enjoy a cup of coffee with breakfast - nothing unusual there. Even though it costs more than what is offered in the grocery store, I often buy roasted beans from Guatemala, Costa Rica, Papua New Guinea, Ethiopa, or other exotic countries, through HonuKATOCOFFEE. We grind them up ourselves as needed, for a fresh flavor.


Honu Kato Coffee offers some nice combinations for about $9.00 per pound


Recently, Kimie read about a very special coffee from the Philippines. It is called "Coffee Alamid" or "Civet Coffee" and locally as "Kopi Luwak". The price is an eye opening US$394.00 per pound! Who needs caffeine? If that doesn't wake you up, you're either one of Wall Street's 1% or you need to check your pulse.


What is especially odd to me is the reason for this huge price difference. You see, the Alamid, Luwak, or Asian palm civet, is an animal found in the Philippines which plays an important role in the production of this coffee. Civets are nocturnal mammals that like to eat the fruit of the coffee plant for its pulp. Their bodies have enzymes which allow them to digest it. Their digestion chemically changes the coffee bean making it lose its bitterness. They eliminate the beans, which - I am not making this up - people search for and gather to make into Civet coffee.

After a thorough washing (I should hope) sun drying and roasting, it is ready to package.

I'll pass (so to speak).

13 comments:

K and S said...

I've heard about that coffee..never tried it though, hope they wash it :)

Don Snabulus said...

Eliminated by the middle man?

Coffee, unfortunately, makes my heart do weird things like skip a beat, then beat like crazy so I avoid it. I do like the smell of a high quality roast. I think I will skip on the poop roast in all cases if you don't mind.

Pandabonium said...

Kat - let me know if you ever taste it!

Don - "middle man" elimination. ;^)

Coffee is something I have to watch too, but one cup in the morning is OK for me. If I have more or have some later than noon I am awake at night.

What's next do you think? Genetically modified civets that leave decaffeinated beans?

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I'd heard about that weird coffee.Okay last night after a rather interesting wedding (couple had been together 32 years!) I couldn't sleep so made a Nescafe coffee. Then I saw picures - like an ever-changing powerpoint - very interesting but seriously strange.

HappySurfer said...

Hi PandaB, just read this article about a 5.5-magnitude earthquake in Ibaragi (Ibaraki perhaps). Hope everyone is alright.

Joesbackyard said...

The nectar of the god...have to have my morning cup...

Pandabonium said...

Joesbackyard - thanks for commenting. Do you have to have a morning cup of regular "coffee" or "civet coffee"? :)

Joesbackyard said...

just black with a little sugar...warms the bones.....very nice......:)

Pandabonium said...

Joesbackyard - nice. I used to like a little sugar, now I just drink it black.

Read your xmas shopping post - funny stuff! But you do have a dark side, don't you? ;^)

Joesbackyard said...

Merry Christmas Pandabonium....I hope you and yours have a very happy New year as well...:)

Pandabonium said...

Thanks. All the best to you in the new year.

Anonymous said...

I tried it in Indonesia - it is kind of mellow sweet - not as strong. I have not been able to get too many people to drink it though.... it does take guts

Pandabonium said...

Anon - thanks for the comment. guts? mmm - it takes something, that's for sure. ;^) Seriously though, quite few people enjoy it evidently, as there is a market for it.