2011/02/02

A Winter For The Birds

I recently put a birdbath in our front yard. Unlike the bird feeder I hung which only one bird has found so far, the bath was an instant hit. Within an hour, a "Brown Eared Bulbul" - one who likes to hang out in our yard to eat our kumquats - was enjoying the water.

This morning I set up a camera on a tripod near the birdbath and after about 20 minutes caught a "Dusky Thrush" on video. He stayed over five minutes, drinking and preening and checking our mikan (mandarin orange) tree for fruit.



The Dusky Thrush is a Siberian bird that migrates south to east Asia in winter.

It does get down to freezing here at times, but only briefly in the early morning. Days are well above freezing. So I empty the birdbath at night and refill it in the morning.

Note: Sorry about the traffic noise - it was "rush hour" - and there is an odd electronic noise. The camera was right under the telephone lines, so perhaps the electronics picked up a data stream or something from there.

9 comments:

K and S said...

great catch! I noticed a pack of bulbuls attacking a tree with red berries the other morning, it was kinda scary, all these bulbul coming out of nowhere!

Pandabonium said...

Thanks. We have nandina plants (like the one Momo is pictured hiding in) which have red berries. The bulbuls like those too. We only see a few bulbuls at a time though!

Lrong said...

We have these birds come to out birdbath too, but it is difficult for me to photograph them thus far... good to see you recording them...

Don Snabulus said...

Very nice. Nice looking bird.

Don Snabulus said...

Apparently I was enamored of the word "nice" today.

Lrong said...

Also, you may or may not be pleased, but I have nominated your blog for an 'award'... please free to reject if it is too troublesome to accept...

Pandabonium said...

Lrong - Thank you. After looking into what is involved, I'll have to decline. Glad you think Pacific Islander is Stylish! ;^)

HappySurfer said...

Panda, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing it and for the extra info on the species, etc.

For a while I was like careful not to make sudden moves lest I scare the little fellow away but then realised that it's only a video. LOL!

Pandabonium said...

Thanks Happy. It took so long to finally catch him that I was really joyous about it and glad for the camera.