2010/06/01

Memorial Day 2010

I've been out of the 'States so long I've forgotten the dates of holidays, so a day late with this post. Memorial Day's roots are unclear, but one thing is certain to me - it is the most regrettable and unnecessary holiday ever. Not that we shouldn't honor those who have died fighting in wars, but one would hope that by remembering them we would learn not to have any more wars. That would be the greatest honor we could bestow.


A Girl Scout (my granddaughter Bailey) placing leis in the Veterans Cemetery on Maui, Hawaii. I remember her mom as a child, making leis for Memorial Day.


Can we stop the wars now, please?

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Well said.

ladybug said...

We've always gone "to the graves" for Memorial Day. Only one in my family was a veteran however. All the rest were too old (one was too old for WW1!-he died in 1983 at the age of 103) or too young for all the conflicts. Thank you for sharing and I share your sentiment.