2010/05/08

Slow Is Beautiful

During the colder months, we had set up - at the vet's suggestion - a cage in the house where Momo (the wonder dog) could sleep out of the cold air. As the weather warmed a bit she was still in the habit of coming inside after dark. She would let us know by a few barks when it was time.

Last night she stayed out well past the usual time and was unusually quiet. We thought it a bit strange and offered to let her in a few times, but she refused. After about nine o'clock, I went outside to check on her. I sat down beside her on the bench (her bench) on our covered patio. A soft rain was falling that I had not heard from inside the house and I found the air temperature to be 'just so' - not warm, but not too cool either. A chorus of frogs were singing from the small farm fields all around us. There were no barking dogs or noisy motorcycles nor much in the way of car traffic. As I sat talking to her, stroking her fur and scratching behind her ears, I realized why she had remained outside on this evening and had been so quiet.

Sometimes animals can show us, through their innate wisdom, how to be. Just slow down and "be". I was reminded of a talk that I listened to recently by Cecile Andrews, author of "Slow Is Beautiful", in which she quoted a passage by Henry David Thoreau -

I love a broad margin to my life. Sometimes, in a summer morning, having taken my accustomed bath, I sat in my sunny doorway from sunrise till noon, rapt in a revery, amidst the pines and hickories and sumachs, in undisturbed solitude and stillness, while the birds sing around or flitted noiseless through the house, until by the sun falling in at my west window, or the noise of some traveler's wagon on the distant highway, I was reminded of the lapse of time. I grew in those seasons like corn in the night, and they were far better than any work of the hands would have been. They were not time subtracted from my life, but so much over and above my usual allowance.

Momo "knows" what we humans often forget. That we don't have to be "doing" all the time - running to the mall to buy "stuff", watching TV, reading, eating, blogging, and on and on trying to fill each hour of the day with doing. How much of our "doing" behavior is really superfluous? Even unhealthy? We have time. We can slow down. Should slow down. Experience the present. Listen to the frogs and the rain, feel the air around us, smell the soil, notice our own breathing, and thus feeling fulfilled, have no need for meaningless actions.

Thank you Momo, for getting me to come outside and share in your wisdom. This was indeed the best use of my time.

9 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Maybe you should consider renting Momo out.

Arkonbey said...

Wonderful! Momo's absolutely right and you did well to listen to her.

When we walked in the woods behind our house, our recently deceased cat would often accompany us. At first we'd try to keep our normal pace, but she'd miaow at us until we'd slow down to her pace, which we always did. It was refreshing.

Too much of our moving is trying to get somewhere, even if there is nowhere to go. To learn how to saunter, go for a walk in the woods with an older housecat.

PinkPanther said...

Yes, M.M. is right. Renting Momo out. :D

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Moody and PP - I'm not for rent, but if you bring me a treat and scratch behind my ears, you're welcome to come over and sit on the bench with me.

Arkonbey - cats are wise animals (though my instincts tell me to chase after them). You must miss your cat very much. I am glad you learned from Nabut.

ladybug said...

Wonderful sentiment Panda! Say hi to Momo for me!

HappySurfer said...

Slow is beautiful, indeed, and in our haste in life, we oftentimes miss simple yet beautiful things. Thanks for the reminder, PandaB.

We could learn a thing or two from intelligent beings like Momo.

Hi Momo! *scratching behind Momo's ears*

Lrong said...

So, how is momo-chan doing on this rainy Sunday (23th May)?

Momo said...

Lrong - I'm fine, thanks. Lucky for me I got a walk this morning before it started to rain. The rest of the day was just snoozing, watching the rain, barking at passers by.

Iloveyouandjetaime said...

Cool!!!