2009/12/11

Back On Track

JR Kyushu ran its steam locomotive "Hitoshi-Go" in service for 15 days in November of this year. The engine, Class 8620 No. 58654, was built in 1922 and was in service until 1975. She was preserved at the Hitoyoshi Steam Locomotive Museum.

Award winning photo of the Hitoyoshi-go from Ken's Daily Photo Blog

In 1987 she was given a new boiler and drive wheels and returned to service until 2005, when it was discovered that there was a crack in the underframe. This crack was not fixable, but rather than retire the engine for good, a new underframe was built and more complete restoration performed. On the 25th of April 2009, after restoration, she was returned to service between Kumamoto and Hitoyoshi, Kyushu. The scenic route takes the train through an old brick tunnel and across a steel bridge that dates to the Meiji era.



Likewise, it seems Pacific-Islander has sat on a siding for a while. I've been undergoing a bit of restoration work myself which started with diet changes, exercise, and then some trips to the hospital for an ultrasound exam, endoscopy (yuck), and some meds. I'm now back on track and building up steam, so I hope to get Pacific-Islander rolling along again.


All aboard!

9 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

You are several up on me. I am glad for your adjustments and wish you good health. I hope to follow suit shortly.

HappySurfer said...

That's great news! Best wishes to your continued good health, PandaB.

You too, Don.

WV: repairnen = men undergone repair/restoration. hehe..

PinkPanther said...

good news from P.B. {good health, post blog again} = I am a lucky reader. :-p

The Moody Minstrel said...

I'm glad to hear that beautiful, old engine has been given new life.

Is everything alright with you?

Pandabonium said...

Don - looking forward to some new Snabulus posts.

HappySurfer -Thanks. Repairnen indeed.

PinkPanther - I'm a lucky blogger to have readers like you.

Moody - That train looks like a big fun toy. I'm OK thanks. Just being revisted by an old trouble from 10 years ago - duodenal ulcers. Got to it before they got started this time.

Arkonbey said...

Nice simile (metaphor? Mash up?). gastrodendoscopy is not fun. That truth serum-y drug they give you is rather creepy.

Steam trains rule. It's one of my few loves that clash with my environmentalism and I was disappointed when Edavile RR went diesel/electric

verification word: Nembiton. Not the drug they give you during gastroendoscopy.

Pandabonium said...

Arkonbey - I had endoscopic surgery ten years ago. They went through my mouth and I was under the twilight anesthetic - creepy as you say, but I don't remember the surgery. This time, it was inserted through my nose and all they did was give me something for my throat so I couldn't swallow and also numbed my nasal passages. I was wide awake. Didn't like it.

Steam trains almost seem alive - all that hissing and spitting, chugging, fire, and smoke. Too bad they are so messy.

Hill said...

Panda!

Saw your comment at Hypatia's place.

She has my E addy. Please ask her for it.

Took my blog private. A lot has happened this year. It's been brutal. My beloved 36-year-old daughter died in my arms at 3:40 a.m. on January 19.

It was good seeing your name at Hyp's place.

I miss you.

Pandabonium said...

Hill - I am deeply saddened to hear of your overwhelming loss. I'll be in touch. Take care.