2009/11/06

Catch of the Day

Spectacular photos from National Geographic -Sperm Whales Feeding On Giant Squid



Five adults and one calf feeding on giant squid photographed by Tony Wu. He said, "It seemed as if the adult whales were trying to teach the baby to dive and also to eat squid."



Female sperm whale munches on 9 meter (30 foot) giant squid while calf swims close at her side.

The pictures were taken off of Japan's Bonin Islands - known here as the Ogasawara Group - which lie about 1000 km south of Tokyo.

Full article and more pics here: National Geographic

4 comments:

Arkonbey said...

Wow. Just: wow.

bonnie said...

I think that is the clearest water I have ever seen anywhere outside. Amazing. If I lived somewhere like that I think I'd spend all my free time under the water (instead of on top of it like now).

Actually I wonder to this day if I ever would have taken up paddling if I'd stayed in Hawaii. Snorkeling is so much easier.

HappySurfer said...

30-ft squid. Gosh!

Pandabonium said...

It must have been an incredible experience to be in the water taking those pictures. Hovering there, trying not to look like a squid...