2009/07/04

Independence Day Pop Quiz

When in the Course of human events...

Okay, my fellow Americans (well, US citizens actually), time to review a bit of what you know about your own country. No fair hiding under the picnic table.

The following quiz was administered via telephone to 1,140 high school students in Arizona and the results were less than encouraging.

These questions are from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services exam. In order to become US citizens, immigrants must answer six of the 10 questions correctly.

Only 3.5% of the Arizona high school students got a score of 60% or better. Should we deport those who are citizens by birth but can't pass the test? Of course not, but surely there is a lot of work to be done to improve the situation! (It is a sobering thought that the 96.5% who failed are eligible to vote when of age.)

OK citizen, here are the ten random questions:

1. What is the supreme law of the land?
2. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution?
3. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?
4. How many Justices are on the Supreme Court?
5. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
6. What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
7. What are the two major political parties in the United States?
8. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
9. Who was the first President of the United States?
10. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch?

Click here to see if your answers are correct.


No need to divulge your score if you don't want to. I got 10 out of 10 correct. K, who is a Japanese citizen, born and raised, passed easily.

If you missed a few, don't feel bad. Just use this as an opportunity to brush up on your knowledge of civics so that you can better appreciate what it is you are celebrating this weekend. No, it isn't "The Fourth of July", my friends, it's "Independence Day".



When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon. ~Thomas Paine

Happy Independence Day!



7 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

I got 10 out of 10 as well, but here are some alternate answers.

1. What is the supreme law of the land?
money
2. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution?
some vague general guidelines
3. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?
Lobbyist shills and power brokers
4. How many Justices are on the Supreme Court?
Sadly, only two or three
5. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
Someone who we quote, but never listen to.
6. What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
The ocean of greed
7. What are the two major political parties in the United States?
See #3
8. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
Until they get caught groping a secretary or soliciting sex in a bathroom stall
9. Who was the first President of the United States?
See #3
10. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch?
See #3

Word verification: antse - How I feel about losing our freedoms.

Olivia said...

I got them too, I think they were the questions I answered for my citizenship test in 1998. And before that, I made the highest grade in my Government class, and the teacher said, "If I were not married, I would kiss you."

My main point was going to be that this morning I complained that nobody says "Independence Day" anymore, sort of like how nobody says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Thanksgiving".
Rather, Happy Fourth of July, Happy Holidays, and Happy Turkey Day. Yuck. What do THEY mean?

The Venturas said...

You taught your daughter well, I of course know them all (and your 5 year old granddaughter knew a few already, too).
Wasn't the point of Independence day so that we were no longer unfairly taxed? Guess that didn't work.

Pandabonium said...

Don - all too true, except #6. The correct answer is the "Oil Tanker Ocean" as opposed to the one on West Coast which is the "China to Walmart Ocean".

Olivia - I didn't know you were a naturalized citizen. This stuff means a lot more to you than to most folks. Yeah, kind of lame when the meanings of holidays get "watered down" like that. That was part of my purpose here, to remind people it isn't about a calendar date.

Hi Emily. Yeah, taxation was a good part of it, along with a long list of abuses by King George which have also resurfaced from within the US government itself. Sigh. Love you all.

Olivia said...

Yes, it does mean a lot to me - and yet, ironically, I don't come from a country in turmoil or conditions of poverty or famine or anything out of the ordinary. I come from a country that also takes in those looking for refuge and opportunity - I just happen to prefer the US to the UK - absolutely.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I admit I missed one. That's what I get for being a long-term ex-pat.

(Here's where Olivia throws a book at me.)

Time to hit the books (if they don't hit me first).

Pandabonium said...

Moody - Stay after class and clean the erasers. ;^)