2008/08/08

Atsui Desu Ne!

Sure was hot today!

How hot was it? Well, it was so hot, local farmers were feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs!

My thermometer got up to 32 C (90 F) in the shade with 80% humidity - wow, Fiji weather. The heat index (an index that combines air temperature and relative humidity to determine what it feels like to the human body) got up to 44 C (112 F). When it's that hot, we all need to be careful:

Doctors say when the heat index is 32–41 °C (90–105 °F) use extreme caution — sunstroke, heat cramps, and heat exhaustion are possible.
At 41–54 °C (105–130 °F) they warn: Danger — sunstroke, heat cramps, and heat exhaustion are likely; heat stroke is possible.

Momo kept cool by having me water down the concrete patio and then laying under the bench for added shade. She takes her walks earlier in the morning and later in the afternoon, and keeps them short.

I just avoid hard work (I'm good at that), limiting my yard work to early morning and evening hours, and drink lots of iced mugicha (barley tea) while running a floor fan.
I caught K in shorts and t-shirt, napping on the living room tatami mats in front of a fan this afternoon. Good idea.

When we went out earlier today I noticed the parking lot at a pachinko parlor was unusually full. Perhaps the customers were there for the air conditioning as much as for the games.


"A worker at an ice-cream parlor in a Tokyo department store on Thursday shows off a parfait that is designed to look like a panda during a campaign to coincide with the upcoming Beijing Olympics." -Mainichi News (AP)

Perhaps we'll take Momo the Wonder Dog to the beach this weekend.

What's your favorite way to cool off?

8 comments:

K and S said...

eat lots of ice cream! :) can you believe Osaka was as hot or hotter than Manila??

Don Snabulus said...

It was 36C here (97F) two days ago here in Oregon. When it gets hot here, it usually gets very dry so the heat index was also 36C. We still hid from the heat the best we could.

I've only been in the humid heat like yours a few times, but I will take our worst hot day (42C or 108F) over your humidity any day. I am a humidity wimp!

bonnie said...

Getting in the water!

It doesn't even need to be in a kayak. Inner tube, raft, boogie board, swimming, floating, whatever. Just in the water.

Eating ice cream in the water is even better.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I've been in Japan for almost twenty years, and I still haven't gotten used to hot fog...

Pandabonium said...

k & s - Osaka hotter than Manila is amazing. Ice cream? How about some Roselani Haupia?

Snabby - I remember Johnny Carson making a joke of having a tomb stone that read "But It's A Dry Heat"...

Bonnie - I'm for that. Splish splash.

Moody - that is pretty weird. Reminds me of my Dad's old joke about "Indian weather" - Apache fog along the coast. ba dum bump

K and S said...

I'll take a quart/gallon?? please...

Happysurfer said...

I think your weather was hotter than ours here in Kuala Lumpur.

Robin said...

Momo would like that.. haha..

In Singapore, it is forever hot..

and my best cool off is meditation.