2008/07/17

Vermeer and the Delft Style

The Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno-Koen will be holding an exhibit from August 2nd to December 14th featuring seven (SEVEN!) paintings by Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675). Delft was Vermeer's home town and the "Delft Style" is best known for its images of 17th century domestic life by Vermeer and Pieter de Hooch.

There are only 36 of Vermeer's works in the world and to have seven of them in one place is remarkable. To have them within a stone's throw of us is fantastic.


Canaris
from the M.L. Lutebook, 26r, performed by Thomas Berghan, 2001


We have our tickets already and just need to pick a date. To buy tickets online (you can print them out at home) visit this page: Vermeer and the Delft Style (English)

From the (excellent) website Essential Vermeer: "The Vermeer paintings included in the exhibition are: The Little Street,Diana and her Companions, The Girl with the Wineglass, Woman with a Lute, Christ in the House of Martha and Mary, The Art of Painting, and the recently re-attributed A Young Woman Seated at the Virginals which is rarely on public view. The exhibition also features the miniscule masterpiece View of Delft by Carel Fabritius, a splendid view of Delft by Van der Heyden and two fine De Hoogh’s."

K has seen "The Art of Painting" before, on exhibit in Tokyo. Although I visited the Rijksmuseum which has four of his works as a college student the only paintings that I recall from that visit are by Rembrandt. The National Art Gallery in London also has 4 of his works, but on that day (1988) I was being followed by the police and knew it, so can't recall much of anything I saw there that day.

Anyway, I'm really happy to get to see these.

12 comments:

Happysurfer said...

Awesome! Enjoy the exhibition.

Don Snabulus said...

Vermeer brings out the personality of his subjects. I like that.

It should be an enjoyable show.

Arkonbey said...

Vermeer is astounding. My wife got to seem his work at the National Gallery in DC with a painting majors trip our senior year at art school.

I can't imagine what goes into transporting those irreplaceable works around the world. Aside from lots of worrying.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello,
Have you read 'Girl with the Pearl Earring' or watched the movie. It's about the model of one of the paintings.
w.

Pandabonium said...

Happy - thanks. I'm sure we will.

Snabby - yes, he does. And his treatment of light is unsurpassed technically.

Arkonbey - good point. Paintings do get stolen from time to time. I am glad they manage to share them around the world and give so many people a chance to appreciate them.

Wendy - we've both seen the movie and enjoyed it. K has also read the book. It really brought that work to life.

Robin said...

Thanks for sharing these pics.

Hope that the visit is refreshing in this hot summer.

Olivia said...

You were being followed by the police?

Anyway, I bought the postcards of the Vermeers in the Nat Gal London. I had them on my wall and enjoyed looking at them because of the clarity, the detail, and the architectural precision. Including a weird panorama of a street viewed through a spherical lens.

ladybug said...

That sounds like a wonderful exhibit...I have only been able to see Rubens paintings (and his house) in Antwerp...but if some Vermeers ever tour around here I'll be sure to see them! Thanks for sharing it w/us!

Pandabonium said...

Robin - thanks.

Olivia - in those days, there was security due to IRA bombings. I had neglected to check my camera bag when I went in, and a plain clothesman was shadowing me the whole time. I spotted him, but didn't have a clue why he was following me until I walked into the lobby and saw the big sign saying to check bags. Doh.

Vermeer took his time with his paintings which is why there are so few around now. It shows.

Ladybug - I'll bet Reubens' house was interesting. Lucky you.

Olivia said...

Oh I see. I remember because of a bin bomb the council removed them from everywhere. Even now WITH bins there's tons of rubbish on the street, so I can't imagine how bad it was living there then.

From the few paintings and drawings I have done, I know I would be like Vermeer. I will never forget the day I drew a rocking chair against a window, and then proceeded to draw the garden view through the window, instead of glazing it over or something. I had to laugh!

Swinebread said...

bah we hardly get anything here... enjoy the exhibit!

Uh OK, why do you think you were followed... sounds like a story there

Swinebread said...

sorry I should have read all the comments