2008/03/12

Ume Blossoms and Signs of Spring

The ume blossoms are filling the air with their sweet scent, the flowers showing off their lovely colors - we have pink and white ones. There is a definite warming trend to the weather that one can feel getting stronger every day. Pandabonium has started trimming my coat whenever he can get me to sit still for a few minutes, and I make him pay in doggy treats for the privilege (he's a soft touch).

Ume is translated as "Japanese plum" in English, but the fruit look like apricots, so somebody (human of course) goofed in my canine opinion. Oh well, I've never eaten either fruit. I'm enjoying the blossoming trees, the birds, and the seasonal change all the same. Here's a picture of me in front of a "weeping" ume tree in our yard...

Pandabonium and K went somewhere to look at more ume trees last Saturday - at least that's the excuse they gave for leaving me alone all day. I don't know why, when we have four ume trees in the yard already and there are many others in the neighborhood. Humans. Go figure. Ah well, as long they come home, give me "scritchies", my walk, treat, and dinner, I'm OK with it.


9 comments:

ladybug said...

Lovely! The Cherry trees are just blooming aroun our area...can't wait until the crabapple down the street comes on; I usually make a bouquet for our house (with permission from our neighbor of course!).

You look so cute too, Momo. It's nice to know you have yard to run around in!

PinkPanther said...

Hello Momo, I awiting for your next vedio clip running around under that glamourous ume trees. Woof...woof..woof..:)

There we have a little red silk-cotton blossom for welcoming SPRING.

Swinebread said...

At least you got some quiet time huh!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Of course, ube season beads it's also sugi (Japanese cedar) pollen sea*ACHOO*season here in the lad of the rising sun. You do't hab hay fever problebs, do you, Bobo? *sniff*

Don Snabulus said...

Spring is a wonderful changeover time and tree blossoms are magical.

Happysurfer said...

I see trees blooming here with pink, yellow and violet flowers even though we don't have the four seasons. Perhaps these trees know it's Spring.

Momo, you are quite a model and you look great under the ume tree.

khengsiong said...

Does ume blossoms take place earlier than sakura?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Hi Khengsiong - yes. The ume bloom starting in late February and into March (they are most fully in bloom now, the 3rd week of March). Sakura start blooming around the end of March and into mid-April. Beautiful times to be in Japan. And of course it all varies with local conditions, weather patterns for the year, etc.

Robin said...

So beautiful..