2007/12/28

A Winter Friend

by Momo the Wonder Dog

I have a new friend name "Jyo". He's a bird. Normally, I bark at birds and chase them off of our fruit trees, but this one is kind of cute and comes to visit by himself, so I leave him alone. Jyo eats insects that he catches in flight, so he's good to have around, though in winter he is more likely to be eating the red berries on the bush in front of our door.

Pandabonium says he is a Daurian Redstart which is fairly common in East Asia (though Pandabonium and K hadn't seen one before). In Japan they are known as jyo-bitaki (ジョウビタキ). You can tell he is a male by his coloring. He's pretty trusting and sometimes lands right on my house!


Jyo-bitaki on my porch railing.


He must live nearby because I see him every day. Pandabonium says he'll just be around for the winter and will fly north to Siberia in the spring sometime, which is too bad. But I'm sure glad I don't have to migrate like that. Imagine traveling that far twice a year without an airplane or ship to carry you - just flapping those little wings! I like staying in one place. Anyway, I'll enjoy seeing him this winter and I hope he comes back next year.



P.S. Woofing (um, speaking) of migration, a MUST SEE movie is "Winged Migration" (Le Peuple migrateur, 2001) by Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud, co-directors. It will leave you in awe of our beautiful planet, the amazing journeys that birds take every year, and will give you a new appreciation for nature and perhaps life itself. It's spectacular!

13 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Wow, that bird's physique and breast color remind me of the good old American Robin.

The one thing I remember about Japan is how few birds I saw compared to America...it is good to see them around.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Uncle Snabby - PandaB says the Robin and Jyo-bitaki are related. We have lots of birds around here - sparrows, pheasants, bush warblers, hawks, and so on. K says a lot more than there were ten or twenty years ago, so maybe the ban on hunting has helped them.

ladybug said...

What a pretty bird! I love catching glimpses of unusual fauna...especially if they like to hang around a little bit! Hopefully other endangered birds will make a comeback too, especially if they have the space to do so.

bonnie said...

Momo, what a lovely post & what a lovely bird! Thank you!

Just wanted to stop by to say -hau'oli makahiki hou!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Ladybug - I hope so too.

Bonnie - Happy New Year to you too.

Swinebread said...

amazing, I sure hope Jyo appears next winter, What a great treat.

I noticed your tip for "winged migration" I thought I might mention the discovery channel mini-series Planet Earth. I liked this one a lot.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Swinebread - that program looks like it would be really cool. Thanks.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Mmmm....New Year's dinner!

Oh, yeah...hunting is illegal in this area.

Never mind.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Moody - come over here so I can bite your ankle.

QUASAR9 said...

lol Pandabonium,
and a Happy New Year to you, the family, and momo.

Dogs certainly know a trick or two about magic circles.

All the best for the New Year!
Mine has certainly started with magic, a big 'bang' and a smile

PinkPanther said...

Happy New Year Momo:

Speaking of Bird, I recall a little interesting thing happened to me in last summer.
It was about 11:00pm in one summer- night; a swallow with blue feather flew into my bedroom and stood beside my pillow. I spent lots of ways to chase it way, it kept flying around inside my bedroom. :-P Finally, I opened all the windows, then it flew out the window.

Robin said...

good that you are befriending a bird..

how about a robin next?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Quasar 9 - happy new year to you. Round and round we go.

PinkPanther - oh my. I don't know what I'd do if bird flew into my dog house.

Robin - you're my friend. Come closer and I'll lick your face. :p