2007/10/05

Ketchup!

I know, it should be "Catsup". But actually I mean "catch up".

I'm falling behind in my posts. I still have to finish my series about our excursion to Hakone and Kamakura. Then there was the lantern festival at Kashima Shrine during which I was hit by a tree full of lanterns, and a fantastic air show at Hyakuri Air Base we went to on the 9th of September. Not to mention a new Fiji post. Whew.

I'd better get caught up soon, because on the 16th of this month I'll be taking pics of some of the over 100 classic cars which will come through Kashima City during the four day "La Festa Mille Miglia" - Japan's version of the famous Italian race/rally which was first held in 1925. Mille Miglia is Italian for "1000 miles". This is the 1oth year for Japan's rally and the cars date from 1924 to 1967 - all classics, no replicas allowed. More about that after the event.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Meanwhile, here are some pictures I took yesterday while cycling down by lake Kitaura. I hope you enjoy them even half as much as enjoyed taking them. Most can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A couple rides their bikes along the levy on this picture perfect afternoon.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A heron looks for an afternoon snack in a rice paddy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Frightened by my picture taking, the heron flew over to the lake and perched on a post.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Egrets at the "sushi bar".

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
An egret takes flight. Ah well. I try to live without 'egrets.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A fisherman mends his net.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Another hawk gets airborne.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A man enjoys cruising along the lake on his custom motorbike with sidecar.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Hawk eyes checking me out as I prepare to leave.

11 comments:

FH2o said...

What a beautiful place you live in! I wished I was cycling with you.

Pandabonium said...

FH2O- Thank you. We are truly blessed, Unker. I wish you were cycling with me and I kayaking with you. I am grateful that at least we can share such times through our blogs.

ladybug said...

Those are some great pictures! Looks like you are having a beautiful Autumn!

We were too, but the 9 months of rain started this week-hopefully we'll get some breaks...

The car race and show look interesting, the music makes me think of the Brat pack, Vegas and Sophia Loren movies..

ladybug said...

Ok, I'm a dufus, I meant "The Rat Pack", not the 1980's St. Elmo's Fire
Brat Pack....

Oy Vey

Don Snabulus said...

Great pix! Don't stress out too much over chronicling every event. We've missed a few on our blog and the world kept spinning. We enjoy whatever you choose to post. ;)

Pandabonium said...

Ladybug - Thanks. Don't worry about mistrakes. Right era..The music they use is the theme from the 1957 version of "An Affair to Remember" - Carey Grant, Deborah Kerr. I looking forward to seeing all those old cars.

We had several cloudy wet days, then the day I took these it broke and has been fine with a perfect 70-ish temperature.

Snabby - Thank you too. Well, I've skipped somethings here and there, but I have family that read the blog (Mom for one) so I like to include as much as I can. Not stressing - I just got back from an hour bike ride. It's all good.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Gee, I sure wish I had the freedom to get out and enjoy that picture-perfect day!

(I know...I know...
"kwitcherbitchen"...)

I'm just glad you posted pics of it, so I could enjoy it here.

It's amazing how much you take for granted when you drive by it twice a day...and you wind up missing so much.

Pandabonium said...

Moody- Some morning or afternoon, take a little detour on the way home and enjoy.

Martin J Frid said...

The "sushi bar" caption is one of your best!

Glad to see the birds in the enlarged photos, that is some camera you got. I'm guessing they were quite far yet you got them so sharp. Wonderful.

Pandabonium said...

Martin - thanks. when I saw those birds lined up (there were even more than in the picture) it somehow reminded me of people sitting a lunch counter.

the camera does a good job. The trick with birds in flight is to zoom in enough for a close shot, but not so close that you can't keep the moving bird in the frame. I have lots of pictures of half a bird. :^)

Swinebread said...

You have a really good sense of composition I must say