2007/07/19

Momo's Glad and Other Joys of Summer

by Momo the Wonder Dog

Momo's Glad-iola that is. I had this really pretty gladiola in front of my house. Before it bloomed, Pandabonium almost pulled it out while weeding. I'm glad he didn't. I'm also glad he got a picture of it before that typhoon came and broke it in two. Oh, well, like Uncle Robin says, "all things are impermanent" (especially food in my dish).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I don't know what that bush is with the lavender flowers, but I dug a hole under it and like to hide there sometimes. Don't tell PandaB, he gets grumpy at me if he finds out I've been digging a hole.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Some weird plants in the yard are the eggplants PandaB is growing in big pots. He says eggplant originally came from India, then were grown by the Chinese, and only later showed up in Italy and other places. I wonder if Reena in India cooks eggplant? I don't eat eggplant, I'd rather have meat in my dish.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There are also a couple of kinds of tomatoes. These are cherry tomatoes.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Oh, and a zucchini. He's got some lettuce and carrots sprouting now too. And peppermint, and wild strawberries. I like it when he comes out to work with the plants or do weeding and stuff, because he lets me off the tether and I get to run around the yard. He also plays with me a lot then. So even though veggies don't interest me, I'm glad he's growing them.

K has some plants too. Here's K's parsley plant.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


And her rosemary bush is really WILD. Smells good too.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


One more flower to show you. It's over by the mailbox. See? I have my name on the mailbox, so if you send me a postcard I'll get it. :P
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


This flower is K's too. It's a hibiscus. Pandabonium says they have lots of these in Hawaii and Fiji. I see some around this neighborhood too, but not as pretty as K's.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I like all the flowers in summer, and the wild grass by the road, which I like to lick or chew. Grass by the side of the road is called "michikusa" in Japanese. The word has come to mean "dilly-dally", which is just what Pandabonium says I do.

Well, time for a nap. Jaa ne. (Later).

15 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Hi Momo. That is a great garden. good veggies for the humans!

PinkPanther said...

Um...the first photo looks like a peacock opens her beautiful feathers.

HEY, PANDAB. MoMo has a secret place in the garden {he..he..he...}

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Uncle Snabby - Hi. Yeah, I hope they are happy with it and leave my food alone. :p I licked one of the eggplants today when PandaB wasn't looking!

Pinkpanther!!! Shhhh! You should call yourself "Pink Fink!"

Yeah, it does look like a peacock. but you know it's male peacocks that have the pretty feathers...

Pandabonium said...

Oh, PinkPanther, now you've done it.

I know all about Momo's hole digging (that isn't the only one). But if she doesn't do it too much or damage the plants, I let her have a little fun, and summer shade.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Nice looking flora! Now I'm feeling a bit green, myself. One of my plans for the garden out front was to make my own herb garden, i.e. parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...and maybe a bit of basil, marjoram, and/or oregano. Unfortunately, the in-laws took over the bed I made before I could plant anything!

Actually, they planted lilies, gladiolas, and other things, but though they've grown really tall really quickly, they're stubbornly refusing to bloom.

Still nothing but greeeeeeeen.

You're lucky, Momo. I've seen quite a few dogs that have concrete and asphalt as a play area. Try digging that sometime!

QUASAR9 said...

aubergenes, egg-planrs, tomatoes, and courgettes ...
with parslet et al
A real vegetarians paradise
Make some great Indian curry.

I suspect a lot of foods may have come from India, though some insist
New Research Proves Single Origin Of Humans In Africa

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

What a joy to have such an abundant fruitful garden! What's your job though Momo - how much digging do you do?
w.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Moody - Simon and Garfunkel liked basil, marjoram, and/or oregano but they couldn't get it to rhyme. That was a cool idea to have an herb circle like that. I'm sure you'll find a spot.

Maybe the flowers will bloom when the rains let up for a while.

Quasar9 - too bad for PandaB he doesn't care for curry. He should try to aquire a taste for it - Peceli and Wendy report on Babasiga that tumeric may cure dementia!

Maybe humans originated in Africa, but went to India for curry. :P

Wendy - PandaB seems to enjoy it. My job is to bark at strangers. Gets kind of boring at times so I dig a hole. Usually only do that when it's hot out so I can lay on the cool soil under the shade of the plant. Maybe if someone would play with me more often I would dig as much.

Swinebread said...

looks good and fresh, I wish I had yard to plant some stuff for the SO.

Good Job.

Pandabonium said...

Swinebread - thanks. We just had a dozen cherry tomatoes with lunch - so sweet.

We don't have a big yard and most of my plants are in pots in any case. You can grow a lot of stuff in pots on a patio or even in a window box. Here are some suggestions: Container Vegetable Gardening. Of course, condos and apartments sometimes have (stupid) rules that prohibit that.

Swinebread said...

Yeah, we have some stupid rules :(

bonnie said...

Hey, Momo - what a beautiful garden! Thanks for sharing it!

Remember when Pandabonium said I was one of the bloggers he'd want on the island because I knew how to grow food, and I said I hadn't grown anything anybody could eat yet unless you counted squash blossoms, which are technically edible but require some extra help (cheese, being fried) to be actually appealing?

Well, I just told Adele the Gardening Chair that if she wanted any cucumbers she could just pick some 'cause I've got more than I can eat!

AND the Japanese pumpkin has a pumpkin!

No strawberries though!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Bonnie - thanks. Wow a kabocha grows in Brooklyn! There's a book and a movie in there somewhere.

PandaB has had some trouble with his zucchini. Some of the early ones were not fully pollinated so were stunted. Then he used a cotton swab to pollinate them and something ate two of them while still small! but more are coming along well. Next time he says he'll make sure to have more plants.

bonnie said...

That's funny, usually when you hear about zucchini causing problems it's the other way around - too many!

Pandabonium said...

Bonnie - stay tuned. I'll post my zucchini quiche recipe one of these days. It took me two years to find zucchini in Japan, so for now, I can't get enough.