2007/05/23

Tagimoucia, the Legend Lives On

Long time readers may recall last June's post "The Legend of Tagimoucia" , about Fiji's national flower of that name, which is pronounced "tahng-ee-mo-thee-ya" . As I reported then, the flowers are native to Lake Tagimoucia on the mountain ridge of Taveuni island at an altitude of over 2,700 feet.


Blossoms, view and lake (courtesy of Babasiga).

That story is one which continues to draw people to the Pacific Islander blog. When I bother to check my statistics I nearly always find that someone has visited the blog by searching for that flower.

Today I had a very nice surprise. A fellow named Wes, who has spent many weeks on Taveuni, and hiked to the lake last year, visited the blog and wrote me an email to share a couple of his pics. He has kindly agreed to let me share them with you. The hike took place one year ago today.

Wes related that it took about five hours of hard hiking up the southeast facing slopes to reach the lake. In the following picture, the lake is behind the group and is covered with vegetation. He says you could actually walk on the vegetation without falling into the water if you were careful. Click to enlarge...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Copyright © 2007 Brian W. Hoffman

The next picture of the guide who led them there. He is wearing tagimoucia blossoms on his ears!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Copyright © 2007 Brian W. Hoffman

Their hike down the other side of the mountain was to the village called Naqara (nah-ngara), the "commercial center" of Taveuni, and took four hours. A long day of hiking in the tropics, but I have a feeling that the prize was well worth the effort.

Vina'a Wes!

7 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Beautiful flower as a reward tough hike. I've never done tropical hiking, but the alpine slopes here in Oregon have yielded some beautiful gems like the tagimoucia.

ladybug said...

Now that's the kind of adventure I'd like to have! Hiking the PCT seems or Appalacian Trail seems downright mundane....

The flowers are wonderful, I hope they are not endangered!

Pandabonium said...

Snabby - the wilderness everywhere has its "gems".

Ladybug - they aren't endangered, in fact about 1/3 of the island is a National Preserve, including the lake, and there is nothing presently threatening them in nature.

nzm said...

Awesome experience and a very rare one at that. There can't have been many vavalagis who have been up the mountain! Kudos to Wes, Brian & co for making the effort.

Swinebread said...

very beautiful… now that is what hiking is for!

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

This flower certainly does attract attention. I too get people who googled tagimaucea or tagimaucia and find a couple of postings we did about the flower.
The hike is very strenuous and some hikers have become ill afterwards, even Fijian guys.
w.

Pandabonium said...

NZM - I'd love to do it sometime, myself, but I'd need to work up to it. Sure looks like fabulous scenery.

Swinebread - sure beats a treadmill at a gym.

Wendy - yeah, it looks tough. It did not escape my attention that the people in the photo all looked fit.