2007/02/13

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise*


*the character Gomer Pyle, played by Jim Nabors, Hawaii resident and one time Macadamia nut farmer on Maui. He has also visited Taveuni, Fiji. (Well, I had to make some island connections to this story.)

The Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania does studies of the IQ (and other attributes) of American presidents. Their assessments are based on each president's scholarly achievements, writings that they alone produced without aid of staff, their ability to speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors which are then scored in the Swanson/Crain system (whatever that is) of intelligence ranking. Here are their estimates for the IQs of the last twelve men to hold the office:

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald R. Ford (R)
176 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald W. Reagan (R)
98 George H. W. Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
91 George W. Bush (R)

They claim an accuracy within 5 points. Only one president has revealed his personal IQ. That was Jimmy Carter at 175 points.

Maybe no big surprises here, except I was a little surprised that W scored as high as he did. Shazam!

Full story is here: The Lovenstein Institute

UPDATE: I have discovered that this story is a hoax. I don't feel so bad for falling for it as so did the Observer newspaper in the UK as well as Gary Trudeau. The sad part is that it was so believable. So, I have decided to leave this post up. If anyone has a problem with that, prove to me that the commander in thief has an IQ of over 91 and I'll retract it.

You just have to laugh. As the Dalai Lama said when asked why he is always smiling: "would it help if I cried?"

15 comments:

ladybug said...

I'm not surprised at all.

What they probably can't calculate is nepotism (certainly in Bush's corner), and "social" intelligence.

I'm sure FDR had it, but Bush has it too - he knows who the go-to people are for running things.

Swinebread said...

I'm very sure Jim Nabors is smarter than W.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Notice that the three smartest presidents (Clinton, Carter, Kennedy, in that order) are all Democrats. In fact, the only Republican on the list with an IQ greater than 125 is Nixon. What does that tell you?

(Well, it gives a hint of the political leanings of the guy that came up with the thing, anyway...)

Don Snabulus said...

You can tell this isn't a conservative blog because it has a disclaimer about the veracity of the information. Most of the con-blogs know it is BS before they put stuff on their site, so there is no reason to repudiate it.

Anonymous said...

"The sad part is that it was so believable. So, I have decided to leave this post up. If anyone has a problem with that, prove to me that the commander in thief has an IQ of over 91 and I'll retract it."

Fine:

First off, Bush flew fighter planes in his youhnger days. Something someone of an iq of 91 can NOT accomplish (otherwise theyd have planes crashing all over the place). Nor do they allow anyone with such a low IQ to join in the first place.

Secondly, an actual study shows that Bush's IQ is higher than John Kerry's:

http://www.vdare.com/Sailer/kerry_iq_lower.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/politics/campaign/24points.html?ex=1256356800&en=50a1bcbb16e7cf21&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Pandabonium said...

Ladybug - he is an easy target for criticism on so many levels that it is hard to know where to start.

Swinebread - I would think so. Nabors is most certainly a kinder man.

Moody - yep. that is one of the things that got me to look deeper into the article and question it. When I first got the email it made me laugh and I jumped on it.

I'm not member of either party and not particularly fond of any of these guys.

After consideration the numbers didn't look right. Eisenhower's seemed especially low to me. I also had never heard of "Swanson/Crane", so I did a search and that's when I found out I'd been had. Next time I'll do that before I post.

I still think its funny.

Snabby - thank you.

Anonymous - you take this post and my comment too seriously and literally.

He may have flown jets when he was young and healthy, but a lot of time has passed and a lot of chemicals have gone through his brain since then. You might also look at clips of his speeches when he ran for Governor vs his Presidential speeches. There is a striking difference.

I'd be more open to your argument if I were running a newspaper, but I am not. This is just a personal blog written to share with family and friends, so lighten up.

This post was to make you smile. If it did not, perhaps you are reading the wrong blog. Sorry.

Martin J Frid said...

Anonymous, if GWB is so smart, why did he invade Iraq? To think that you even went through the trouble of finding a link to an "actual" study showing that Bush's IQ is higher than Kelly... LOL

The Moody Minstrel said...

I think anonymous's comment just helps to underscore the extremes to which many people either love or hate the current President. Asking such people to "lighten up" is like telling a paranoid schizophrenic to get a real life.

Pandabonium said...

Martin, Moody - thanks. I have learned that Mr./Ms. anonymous is someone in Glen Cove, New York (Rush? time to take your OxyContin) who did a search for any blog carrying this article and then commented on same. Another blog hit was one run by our friend FH2O. Kind of a crusade - a mission from GOD - to correct this story. (Someone has way too much time on their hands and some pretty wacky priorities.)

Old Broad said...

Panda, you have a TROLL. I'm impressed.
And he's defending Dubya.
BwaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaa

YD said...

Hoax or no hoax, I like it! haha...
It's good for a laugh always, innit?

Oh no... Anon strikes again!!!

Hypatia said...

Hey I consider this a "no harm, no foul" prank. What the heck, I thought it fun regardless.

Besides, if you don't end up putting foot in mouth at some point in your life - you're probably not human (or you have a really good clean up PR crew, like some members of congress....)

And there's no way that Kerry's IQ is lower than Bush's.

Lrong said...

Hahahaaa... this is a good post, my friend... and pretty believable too I must say... commander in thief? Hahaahaaa....

Pandabonium said...

Thank you everyone - including "ditto head" anonymous (for added comic value).

The Moody Minstrel said...

What's really funny is that that article "anonymous" linked doesn't really prove anything. The author (an avowed right-winger) made an inference based on several assumptions. It's an interesting and thought-provoking point, but no one with any sense would try to use it as "proof" in a serious debate.

I've found that trolls tend to use material like that a lot, however. I wonder if they actually read their linked items before they plop them down hoping that their opponents won't try to challenge them.