2007/01/10

It's Like A Heat Wave

That song came to mind today as it was so sunny and warm compared to last year at this time.

January 7, 2006

What song? Oh, you young people! Why, "Love is like a Heat Wave" by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, of course. It topped the black singles charts and was number 4 on the US pop charts in 1963. It put Motown records on the map. If the song doesn't ring a bell, you may also not know - you poor deprived child you - that "Motown" is short for "motor town" - Detroit, Michigan - or that the record company name "Motown" is now synonymous with American soul music.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

A few years ago I was in the airport in Detroit (I was changing planes after going to my youngest daughter's graduation from the University of Notre Dame). Detroit Metro is THE coolest commercial airport I've ever seen, with a pedestrian psychedelic tunnel with light-show walls that change to the music, an indoor elevated tram the length of the terminal (I rode it back and forth like the big kid I am), and an artistic animated water fountain like no fountain you've ever seen before.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Detroit Metro Airport Terminal

Plus, there was a Motown music store. Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Tempations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, the Four Tops. It was awesome, and I had to hang on to my wallet to keep from buying everything in the store....but I digress....

Anyway, about a year ago, Momo was experiencing her first ever snowfall, and I was grumbling about the cold and buying a new kerosene heater. In contrast, the low last night was about 2 C (36 F) and the temperature today rose to 10 C (50 F) in the afternoon. Not exactly shorts and Bula shirt weather, but a far cry from snow. In fact....."It's like a heat wave"....

5 comments:

nzm said...

Love the pic of Momo staring at the snow!

The weather's crazy, isn't it?

In Berlin, we're getting 15degC during the day, and this morning we had the door open to the back yard for about 15 minutes, whereas we would normally freeze after 5 secs at this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Heat wave! LOL!!! Here in the Hill Country, in July and August, it gets to 109 actual. The heat index is around 112 or so. You simply cannot breathe outside. On the other hand, I can't stand the snow. That stuff is cold. Great pixs. Again. (The former Hill)

Pandabonium said...

NZM - Momo really didn't like snow - stayed in her house all day and wouldn't set one paw on it.

15, amazing. I've also read that cherry trees are already blooming in the northeastern USA, and other unseasonable stuff is going on.

But Exxon assures me it has nothing to do with fossil fuels.....

Old Broad - "Old Broad"? You're still a kid! Wow, guess I need to update my links.

I used to live in southern CA and see temps like that out on the desert. So, today you had a high of 64F - is that about normal for this time of year?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Wow! I had no idea Detroit Airport was so cool! I should go there and see it sometime!

I just hope I don't have to leave the terminal.

Pandabonium said...

Moody - Detroit Metro has been the hub for Northwest Airlines for some time. The terminal was built in 2001.

It is a great place - and I don't say that about commercial terminals very often. I couldn't find a good enough picture of the colored light show tunnel to share. Its worth going through even if you don't need to. I was never bored during my layovers.

The architecture is great too.