2006/09/16

Flight To Taveuni Island, Fiji

I just came across a short video on YouTube of a flight from Suva International Airport at Nausori to Matei Airport on the island of Tavuni. It captures some of the beauty of flying in Fiji over lush vegetation, rivers, clear ocean waters and coral reefs. Here is a map showing the route.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The aircraft is a De Haviland Twin-Otter operated by Sun Air (soon to be purchased by Air Pacific, Fiji's international airline). The actual flight would have taken perhaps 40 minutes or so, but this video condenses it to just 2 1/2 minutes. Enjoy.

Here's a brief rundown of the flight. After takeoff they head northeast and out over the Moturiki Channel. At about 1:06 you see the southern tip of Wakaya Island. Next is the east coast of Koro Island. When it gets to about 1 minute 27 seconds, you see Taveuni. The camera then looks out to the left for brief shot of the southwestern tip Vanua Levu and Rainbow Reef (on map below), a popular SCUBA diving area. At 1:46 you get a good bird's eye view of little Korolevu island and the beautiful reefs that suround it. This is where K and I paddled to on kayaks, which I wrote about in the post "Kayak & Snorkel Korolevu - Fiji". In the background is the area of Waiyevo town, all but invisible. Finally, the camera follows the plane's shadow on final aproach over water and beach to a smooth touchdown at Matei.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sun Air Twin Otter at Matei, Taveuni

I hope you get the chance to visit Fiji and fly to Taveuni sometime.

4 comments:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

It's a beautiful trip on a good day because the reefs look stunning. I've been to Taveuni three times - stayed at Qeleni, Niusawa, Vuna. It rained and rained one time and I just wanted to fly away!
But it is one of the most beautiful islands in Fiji.
I wanted to go to Taveuni last trip to visit Roberta and her little tourist bure, but I had a tummy ache in Labasa so didn't go!
W.
PS I wasn't picking on guys like you when I posted that spiel about expats in Savusavu, but you get the drift - the economic impact just happens with the imbalance of financial power. Whoever comes to enjoy the hospitality of Fiji is okay as long as they respect the local people and are sensitive about the impact their presence has on them. There are places in Fiji where expats do not treat the locals kindly!

Pandabonium said...

We've only been to Vuna once, to see the blowhole. They are re-routing the road now between Taveuni Estates and Susie's - the section that is high along the cliffs, and moving it closer to the sea. Not sure why. Seems like a lot of work that might be better spent elsewhere.

No worries about your comments. I am an expat by choice. I don't much like what I see happening Savusavu either. I am leaving the so-called 1st world to get away from those kind of people. I watched what they did to Maui. I'd like to live what I consider to be a better life, a more real life, rather than bring a hollow materialistic one with me.

This gives me another opportunity to plug a book I have mentioned before on this blog - "My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilisation", by psychologist Chellis Glendinning.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I enjoyed the flight. Thanks!

I didn't realize Twin Otter propellers turned so slowly...

Pandabonium said...

Glad you did MM. Yes, you see on Sun Air it is policy to shut down one engine while enroute to save fuel....