2006/09/02

THE EDGE OF WEIRDNESS

And now, for your amusement, "The Artist Formerly Known as PusBoy" of the blog "Virtualpus" has tagged me to reveal 5 weird things about myself. He actually did this about a month ago, but I haven't had time to write it. As the traffic seems to be way down this weekend, I'll slip it in here and hope it goes unnoticed.



Here are 5 weird things about me:

1) I like technology, but only if it serves to make life better on balance without negative side effects to the users, society, or environment. Keeping in mind that anything we do will have side effects. I do not own a cellular phone, don't drive cars - I'm not even licensed (by choice). I don't watch television. Many modern "tools" are a waste in my opinion and many only appear to make life better but actually only make it easier to do things that make life worse or require a huge amount of your work time to afford to own them. On pro-tech side, I like my laptop computer and the internet. I am a licensed airplane pilot, think the bicycle is the greatest transportation invention ever, and also like trains. [It is not a mere coincidence that the men who were the first to design and fly a fully functional airplane happened to be in the bicycle business.]

2) I have the nose and ears of a dog. No, I don't look like a dog, but I can hear very high frequency sounds, such that ultra sonic "silent" alarm systems like some banks and stores have hurt my ears. As a result I have made a fortune robbing banks and jewelry stores (not really, just seeing if you are paying attention). I cannot tolerate high noise levels either and wear ear protection while in airplanes or cities. I am sensitive to smells and can't stand the smell of scented soaps, candles, perfumes and such - they make me gag. I also associate memories with smell, as much as I do sight or sound. I love the natural smells of foods, such as garlic, ginger, and onions - and of course flowers.

3) I do not follow any organized religion or philosphy, and I do not believe in any gods. I consider myself a spiritual person and have developed a personal philosophy which is a blend of classical Western (Aristotle) and Eastern (mostly Buddhist) approaches to life.

4) I throw a ball with my left hand and a Frisbee with my right. I eat with my left and write with my right. I kick with either foot. I suppose if I had practiced writing with each hand I'd be ambidextrous. I can read backwards writing with ease.

5) I don't like watching professional sports. I do like team sports on a personal level. I'd go to a high school or college game because my kids went to that school, or play volleyball or soft ball and enjoy that. But watch a bunch of people I don't know or care about, who do nothing but play a sport for huge sums of money for entertainment? Never. I really do not understand anyone who devotes a portion of their life to following the careers of professional atheletes or memorizing the rankings and statistics of the players and teams. Sports fans, don't try to explain it to me. I will never understand it and really don't care to.

OK. There's five. Are they weird enough? I could probably come up with weirder examples, but I don't want to frighten anyone.

Now move along. Nothing to see here folks...

9 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

1. I would love to get rid of the TV, but I am outvoted.

2. I am the opposite. I am probably slightly hearing impaired.

3 & 4. We're the same.

5. I like my hometown teams, so I differ with you on that point.

Sorry to have noticed.

Pandabonium said...

"Sorry to have noticed."

As Corn Cob Bob would say, "Ah, shucks".

The Moody Minstrel said...

1. I'm in love with my BLUE RAV4, but I often annoy the people I associate with by keeping my cell phone turned off (or refusing to answer it) and shutting the TV off whenever I can get away with it.

2. Weird. My hearing seems to fluctuate. Sometimes it becomes sensitive like yours, other times it becomes dull. As for smells, we are opposites. I love (and collect) scented candles and oils, particularly herbal or aromatic wood scents. As for flowers, I like the smell a lot in small doses, but if someone puts a bouquet in a closed room it's guaranteed I'll have watery eyes and a sore throat in no time.

3. I'm very much the same, only kind of different.

4. Usually rightie, but as I mentioned on my own "tag" post, sometimes I suddenly start doing everything leftie for a while.

5. Me, either...unless I have a vested interest in a particular event. When I was little, my father used to punish me for making too much noise while he was watching a ball game by making me sit and watch the game. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nothing to notice here.

Pandabonium said...

MM - I'm not sure what "weird" is other than different from the norm. I've never seen any stats on these things, just made assumptions based on what I observe as to what the norm appears to be.

Of course, my own use of the word to describe someone else just means that they are different from me.

I wonder how many people are really "middle of the road" when it comes to left or right handedness? Using both halves of our brains must be sign of great minds. Or not. Weird.

PinkPanther said...

Why don’t you use “particular hobby” or “unique technique” instead of “weird”?
Everyone has his/her special side, can’t say weird or not!!

FH2O said...

I was wondering how you would react when you smell a durian ... ;)

Pandabonium said...

Well FH2O, I'll either like it or hate it! No in between. :^O

YD said...

1) I like technology, but too bad I always can't understand them. I have had a hard time just trying to learn to reformat my computer, and I solve my TV black-out problem by giving it a good slam.

2) I have bad nose and ears, despite my young age. I always have sensitive runny nose, and I always have to ask people to repeat what they say.

3) I tried to understand various religions, and got confused.

4) Erm.. I can only manage playing piano with both hands, other than that, I am a right-hander. Typical commoners.

5) I love sports, but never got good in any, and I can't remember any faces of any teams as well.

Somehow I think I am classified under the Weirdo category too.

Pandabonium said...

YD - show me a normal person and I'll show you someone who is really weird. ^o^