2006/06/14

Momo's "Wild Kingdom"

Sometimes Pandabonium lets me off the tether and gives me free reign of the yard. I like to wander around and see what's new, then find a spot by a bush, dig a shallow hole in the shade and lay down to watch the world go by. I am always surprised at how much there is to see if I pay attention.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Exploring my world.

Today I was admiring the yellow daisies. They look so bright and cheerful. We have three big clumps of them in the front yard. I thought maybe I'd lay down in them. As I got closer, I realized there was much more to see than just the flowers themselves.

The first thing I saw (and heard) were honeybees. They seemed to like the pollen and there were quite a few of them on the daisies. Did you know that one pollen granule contains from one hundred thousand to five million pollen spores? No wonder that the Moody Minstrel gets hayfever! Anyway, it's a good thing I didn't lay on the flowers, I might have been stung.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Two bees or not two bees...

Then I saw a green beetle with white spots. It looked like it was eating the flower as it had its head buried in it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Before long a spotted butterfly called "Kitateha" showed up, flitting around and sometimes landing on a flower.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Butterflies in general are called "chou" in Japan. This one landed on a flower next to the beetle. They didn't seem pay any attention to one another. In fact the beetle was so busy, I don't think it even knew the butterfly was there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The kitateha left, but before long another "chou" came by called "Monshirochou". It was white with grey and black parts. It moved around a lot more than the kitateha.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I moved around to the other side of the bush and saw something pretty scary. It was a dead bee laying on a flower. Also on the flower was a brown spider called "gazami-gumo". He was ugly and scary looking, especially since he had just killed a bee! He hung the bee off the side of the flower using web. I guess so other bees might still come to the flower, which he could also catch. He sat on one side of the flower with his front four legs together in pairs and the other under his body. It made him look like a piece of dead flower.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I saw another bee collecting pollen and wondered if that one would be foolish enough to go to the spider's flower.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I decided I'd seen enough and went looking for Pandabonium to see if he would play with me or scratch my belly for a while.

-Momo the Wonder Dog

16 comments:

j-apricot said...

I love the pics, especially the first one of you, Momo.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I just got a new 19" clear black LCD monitor (my present to myself with this year's bonus!). Those pics look brilliant on this thing!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Wow! Good for you. I'd like to see that. The flowers are so YELLOW even on my old doggy computer they light up the ol' dog house.

3 wags and a dirty paw print for your pants, MM.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Thanks j-apricot - what did you think of the spider?

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Panda,
Have you ever thought about designing picture books for kids? Make the sentences shorter. Use real pics such as your photos. Include the language references and a few cultural bits.
Cheers,
Wendy

Pandabonium said...

That's a tough market, Wendy, but it would be fun. What do you think Momo?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

That would fun. Would I get to go on book tours and sign them with my paw print?

YD said...

I second Wendy's suggestion! I was having that sweet feeling of reliving my childhood reading story books again when I was scrolling down. And when I saw Wendy's comment later, I just can't help smiling.

Really, think about it, panda n momo. Momo, I would be the first few to get your paw print!

btw, momo your hair looked great in the pic! a different style than your other fluffy-hair pic, but nevertheless very cute and girly! :-)

agus said...

Awww, you're so cute momo. I bet panda was just around the corner giggling at your antics.

You certainly had a great time. And I love the yellow. *high paw*

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

YD - you can have my paw print any time.
Thanks for compliment about the hair. I just had Pandabonium trim my face to get it out of my eyes. :P

Agus - thanks. high paw to you too.

Robin said...

"Stop messing around with my lunch." said butterfly.

"Lunch?" replied the bug, "But I just sh*t there"

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Robin, I've got your lunch right here...

Happysurfer said...

That's a very nice post, Momo. Love the pictures.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Thanks Happy - wag wag wag. I hope some of the pictures help keep you "Happy".

Angelo de los Angeles said...

Hi Momo, did that spider get the bee?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Hi Zoltar, thanks for reading my post.

I didn't seen anymore dead bees, but that spider was on a different flower the next day, so I guess after he sucks the life out of his catch, he just leaves it there and moves on.
Ewww.