2006/06/29

The Band I Left Behind

The year before I left Maui, a group of musicians, including yours truly, started a new community concert band. As we had done when we started the Maui Symphony Orchestra some twenty odd years before, we encouraged all Maui musicians to join. We had high school students, music teachers, adults like me who played music as a hobby, and professional musicians. I did get to play a Christmas concert with them and continued rehearsing before moving to Japan.

Instrumental (pun intended) in organizing the Maui Community Concert Band, was its director, Lisa Owen. Lisa, who hails from Sweden (hej!), used to play tuba for the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra, but has been teaching music at Seabury Hall, a private college prep academy on Maui, for many years now.


I looked through my files and managed to find the above picture of Lisa which was taken at a big band jazz concert we played several years back. From left to right - Gabe Baltazar (saxophonist), Lisa Owen (tuba and trombone), Howard Johnson (tuba and baritone sax), and vocalist Louise Lambert.

Of course I can't pass up an opportunity to post my own picture.
Pandabonium playing at the 2003 Christmas concert.

In the last couple of years the concert band has grown and had several performances.

They are performing again TOMORROW night (Thursday in Hawaii) at the Westin Hotel in Kaanapali, Maui in the Aloha Pavillion by the beach and again Friday night (June 30th) at the MACC (Maui Arts and Cultural Center).

The Maui Community Concert Band is being joined in this week's concerts by the Nassau-Suffolk Band of Oceanside, New York. The combined band will have 58 musicians and should offer a quite a wonderful sound.

The program is the same for both concerts:

Fanfare for a Festival by Carl Strommen
Toccata for Band by Frank Erickson
Highlights from Cats by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Arranged by Johnnie Vinson
Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst
Gerswin! Arranged by Warren Barker
Stars & Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa
Kawaipunahele by Keali'i Reichel, Arranged by Siuai Laufou

I am thrilled to see they are performing the Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst (who is most well remembered perhaps for "The Planets"). It has been a favorite of mine ever since my college days when I got to rehearse it with an army regimental band in London, England. I donated the sheet music to the Maui band, but this is the first time they will perform it. Sorry I won't be there to hear it play in it. I also missed out on the potluck after the rehearsal the other night. I heard the food was "ono".

Click below for one minute clip from the Holst Suite (by the Calgary Concert Band of Alberta, Canada)



I know this post is short notice, but if you are reading this on Maui, don't miss this concert. Call the Westin or MACC for details. For everyone else, I hope to have an update to post next week and let you know how things went.

8 comments:

George said...

Well, if you're not going to be there playing, why should I go?
You ever get "trombone lip"?

Pandabonium said...

Ah, go on, you'll like it.

Trombone lip - yes. Like any muscles if you use them every day then they stay strong unless you play too long on one day. That would happen to me with the brass choir at xmas time. The orchestra here has a real problem in the way they rehearse right before each concert. Most of the brass players have never learned to save their chops at rehearsal and so sometimes during the concert they miss high notes and their tone gets shot.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Yep!

Now our lead trombonist is threatening to quit because he got flamed in the audience questionnaires. Hey, if he'd use a bit of common sense...

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

A trombone? My illusions are shattered - I thought you probably played a shakuhachi flute!
Ah, music - and the bliss of playing together. I'm an ordinary muso - just play things like piano and pipe organ so I can't cart them around to parties.
W.

Pandabonium said...

Wendy, I love the sound of shakuhachi, but my trombone has taken me many places and introduced me to lots of new friends.

A pianist is always welcome. You just need a keyboard and a gig bag to carry it in.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I have a shakuhachi, and sometimes I try to play it. Unfortunately, it's one of those instruments that one can never hope to master without instruction.

Robin said...

ABBA?

Pandabonium said...

How did you know - Lisa was the tuba player for ABBA!

kekekeke