2006/05/02

Sakura Fubuki - Cherry Blossom Snow

These pictures, taken this morning, are in response to my friend Robin in Singapore, who wished to see cherry blossom petals on the ground like fallen snow, which I had described in an earlier post. One of my neighbors has some late blooming cherry trees and this morning I saw petals all over his driveway and more drifting down. Click on the pictures to enlarge them and you will see some petals floating down as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
detail of above showing falling petals.

Sakura fubuki is not a phenomenon that is easily conveyed with a camera. The petals are small and scarcely show up in the image. Zoom in on the petals and the context is lost. Eerything about it is subtle - the breeze, the colors, the way the petals fall. It is perhaps something one needs to experience first hand to fully appreciate.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


So, there you are Robin. I hope you enjoy them.

12 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks Panda.. Beautiful indeed!!!

And I see your neighbour is peeping through his window in the first pics..

Must be thinking what is this foreigner trying to do..

Paparazzi or rather Pandarazzi..

Robin said...

When it rains, they told me that the sky is crying..

When it rains petal, hopefully the sky is happy.

Pandabonium said...

Glad you liked them Robin. I think you're right about my neighbor. I just smiled and bowed deeply to him when I finished.

I don't know if the sky was happy, but I was. Good thing I got the pics when I did, because an hour later it started to rain. Moody sky I guess.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Hey, watch it!!!!

What's really fun is when the parking lot at ye olde academy winds up covered with pink petals and then it rains, making it not only look like snow but also slip and slide like snow.

Slip slidin' away...

Pandabonium said...

Uh-oh, Moody. Correction: I meant "tempermental sky". hehe.

Good thing you have those "sakura fubuki" tires on the ol' BLUE RAV4.

Robin said...

Elmo is FOUND!

FH2O said...

Like confetti ... but this's natural.
Nice. Thanks!

(in case u haven't heard it yet, heehe ;) Elmo's found)

Pandabonium said...

That's good news Robin. Hope he gets well soon.

FH20 - yeah it's confetti to celibrate Elmo's return I guess.

Happysurfer said...

So lovely!

Alexandra said...

Hi, I came across your blog looking for pictures of the sakura fubuki. I'm writing a paper on popular dance in Japan, and would like permission to use your photo in the paper. For the time being it is only for my graduate seminar, but I might wish to revise it for academic publication. Please, can you let me know what is okay with you. I will give you full credit, of course, for the lovely photographs. Thanks, Alexandra (UCLA Department of Musicology)

Pandabonium said...

Alexandra - yes, you may use any of them. Happy that you like them. You might also take a look at the post from April 2006 titled Hanamatsuri for more sakura fubuki pictures. Good luck on your paper and studies.

By the way, we're going to see the Saito Sai Festival in Kashima City today which includes participants dancing to the old song "Soranbushi".

Alexandra said...

Thanks so much! The other pictures are gorgeous, too. I can't wait to go to Japan myself.