2006/04/21

Mammatus Clouds Over Kashima!

Were it not for a post by my friend FH2O on his blog Kuching Kayaking earlier this month I would not have recognized these clouds.

Today has been stormy with big thundershowers passing through and lots of sunshine in between. This afternoon, after one storm, the sky brightened, and as I've been hoping to go out on the bicycle I went outside to check the weather. To the west, the sun was shining and the sky was blue with scattered cumulus, but to the east it was dark and full of WHAT?! mammatus clouds! I've never seen them before except in pictures on FH2O's blog. They can occur with turbulant weather when warm moist air is sitting on top of cooler air, but they are not a well understood phenominon.

These were not as uniform as those pictures, but fascinating none the less. Do follow the link above as the pics in FH2O's post are remarkable. Anyway, I ran back in the house and grabbed the camera. This is what I got....



10 comments:

Lrong said...

The mammatus looked pretty threatening eh...

YD said...

When I saw those mammatus fellows in Fh20's blog, I was awed. Now when you saw those with your own eyes, I am speechless! You are so lucky! I wish I had this chance! wow wow wow...

I looked out of my window and saw...

NOTHING. *grunt* hehe.. not even a single cloud.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Those were some pretty awesome thunderstorms that came crashing through today. Unfortunately, they seem to have screwed up my phone service...though my internet and satellite TV (which link through the same phone line) are working just fine. Go figure...

Pandabonium said...

lrong - yeah, they got my attention.

YD - they looked really weird. Not as dramatic as FH2O's pics, but these were right in front of me.

Moody - at times I unplugged the electronics in the house, concerned about the lightening. It did mess up my internet service for a while.

Happysurfer said...

Nice - here one minute, gone the next.

MM, you're lucky that only the phone line is affected.

Pandabonium said...

Happysurfer,

It was pretty strange to watch. More lightening today (Tuesday). Lost the power for a short time around noon.

Robin said...

So it is true..

Unker did not photoshop his cloud?

Pandabonium said...

Yeah. Stranger than fiction...

FH2O said...

watch it robin!

I'm so envious! YOu actually saw one with your own eyes and took photos of them! *sigh*

Well done! :)

Pandabonium said...

FH2O - I wonder if I would have paid much attention to them had you not posted those wonderful pics on your blog. Having a bit of information ahead of time made them all the more interesting. Thanks.