2006/02/27

Verdict In - Shark "Not Guilty"

For once, one of my hunches was right. The medical examiner has determined that the shark bitten remains found Friday on Maui indicate that the man was dead before the shark bit his body.

Image hosting by Photobucket


It was further revealed that the 45 year old free-diver was new to the sport, was doing it alone and had told his wife that he wanted to reach a personal free-diving depth goal of 100 feet (30.5 meters). Drowning or heart attack are given as likely causes of death.

Such news is no solace to his widow who is living through the worst time of her life at this moment. The lesson is: never go in, on, or near the water alone. And I would add, follow the old addage "never turn your back on the sea".

5 comments:

agus said...

That is equally tragic news. But yeah, never be alone when dealing with water. It is as dangerous as it is beautiful.

Pandabonium said...

Agus, yes, we can talk about it in a detached way, but for people close to the victim it is tragedy they are having to live.

FH2O said...

It's equally dangerous on land as it is on water.

People tend to jump to conclusion too quickly - about the shark I mean.

bonnie said...

It is nice to see somebody else quote the "never turn your back on the sea". I've got a reputation for being a very conservative paddler - possibly even to the point where some people think I'm a bore - and anytime that anybody asks me why I'm that way the explanation usually involves a mention of having that exact phrase DRUMMED into my head as a kid growing up in Hawaii. But sometimes I've wondered if that was just something that I latched onto or if other kids got the same thing - it's funny, I have no specific recollection of any one person looking me in the eye and telling me that, it's more like it was engraved into my brain through low-key but endless repetition.

Pandabonium said...

FH2O - Something like 60 people a year drown in Hawaiian waters. Swimming pools, lakes, rivers, are places for caution as well.

My dad taught me that phrase about never turning one's back, and would point out every news story where people who were out picking opihi got swept out to sea or battered on the rocks.

(for you non-Hawaii folk opihi is a limpet that lives on intertidal rocks and is considered a delicacy).