2006/02/21

From Macau - Belated CNY Pictures

A shy 'Pacific Islander' reader in Macau sent me these two pictures by email and I thought maybe some of my other readers who celebrate Chinese New Year around the world would like to see them, so asked and was given permission to post them.

Macau was the first European settlement in the Far East, the land having been rented by Portugal in 1553. It is located just down the Chinese coast from Hong Kong on the South China Sea. Since 1999, it has been a "special administrative region" (SAR)of China, with an autonomous economic system. It has a population of about 449,000 people, 95% of whom are Chinese. There are about 11,000 locally born Portuguese known as Macanese. Macau is a popular gaming destination and the local government gets 70% of its revenues from gambling.

Image hosting by Photobucket

This is the Macau Central Post Office building which is over 100 years old and was built in a European architectural style.


Image hosting by Photobucket

These Chinese New Year decorations are covering the fountain in the center of Senado Square in the historic center of town. The post office is on this square. Note the wavy pattern of the Portuguese tiles.


I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse of Macau. I've never visited there and would be interested in learning more about it. I am encouraging this person to start a blog and share more pictures, experiences and thoughts from there. I'm sure it would find an receptive readership.

UPDATE: Macau has much to offer visitors besides gambling. It was added to the World Heritage List in July of 2005. For more details please refer to Macau Heritage .

11 comments:

agus said...

Macau, I've never been there. But it sure would be interesting to learn about places rich with cultural heritage and beautiful places, natural or man made.

Vegas of the orient perhaps? Any bets?

Robin said...

hmmm... I also recieved from this shy person.. Pink Panther!!

haha.. it is a small world afterall.. oops.. no singing..

Pandabonium said...

Agus, gambling is one thing I don't do. Las Vegas is very popular with people in Hawaii. Maybe Macau is for people in that region? I don't know.

Robin.... Arrrggggh! you had to name that song! It will take days to get that tune out of my head. I just hope Moody doesn't see this - it drives him nuts.

Anyway, that is interesting news. I hope they will start a blog or participate with comments.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I'll pretend I didn't see that!

Hmm...I got those same pictures several days ago! Oh, no! Now I'm getting jealous!!!

Chen said...

We always associate Macau with gamblings.
Anyway, I don't gamble.
Won't simply waste my hard-earned $$$.

mmm...seems like many people getting the similar picture :)

Pandabonium said...

Not surprising Macau would read these blogs as we all read each other and comment. I hope they continue to do so and keep sharing if only through emails to us all.

OK Macau? We're all friends here.

Lrong said...

Been to Macau on two occasions... really charming place... especially the mixture of things Portuguese and Cantonese... the food was very good too...

PinkPanther said...

A "Hello" from that Shy Reader to PandaB ^_^

Thank you for your encouragement to start a blog, will consider that!

Pandabonium said...

Hi Pink Panther. You are welcome. Whether or not you start a blog, I hope we can look forward to your comments when the mood strikes you.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Are you referring to me? I have never threatened Pink Panther, let alone struck her!

Pandabonium said...

ba-dum-bum


smacpx - sound of the mood striking pink panther