2006/01/07

What Is This Stuff?

By MOMO The Wonder Dog

I awoke this morning and wandered outside to inquire of my servants when breakfast would be served, and to inform them that my water dish had frozen once again.

To my astonishment, the view from my porch was different in a very strange way. The air was still freezing cold and a white powdery substance was on everything - the ground, bushes, walls roofs. Luckily, my house is under an awning so was not affected by whatever it is.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After breakfast, I sat on my patio, unsure of what to do. Is it safe to walk on? My house is well insulated, I have a door flap, and my bed is heated to just above my body temperature. My servants had put a blanket over the house as well to keep out drafts. [This is not recommended if the blanket could become wet, but the awning prevents that]. As you might imagine, I was reluctant to venture outside. Good thing I have my winter coat on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My warm island refuge in a sea of cold white "stuff".


Pandabonium came out to walk the burnable rubbish to the local collection site down by the temple. He seemed to be amazed as well, but had no trouble walking around on the stuff, so maybe it was OK.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Fianlly, I stepped off my porch to get a closer look.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It appears to have fallen from the sky, and as I stood there, a few flakes of it still floated down from time to time.


I tasted it. No flavor and wet like water, but very cold, and it stuck to my chin. K assured me that this rarely happens in Kashima City, and almost never stays on the ground for very long. But this has been a record cold winter and other parts of Japan have seen a lot of this stuff.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I don't like it. I don't even want to go for a walk in it.


I have decided to go back to bed and sleep a while. The sun is peeking through the clouds and warming things a bit. Maybe when I wake up again this white stuff will be gone. Until then, please do not disturb me.

Momo

15 comments:

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

I'm afraid that white thingy will not disappear any sooner, Momo! I would love to get such suprises like you had! But here, I can only find hot and wet season all year long!

Hang on right there, buddy! Have a nice day!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Thanks @low@, I came out around noon and the sun was shining and the only white stuff left is in the shadows. Pandabonium took me for a walk and gave me a pig ear to chew on. So I'm happy now.

Sure was weird though.

YD said...

Hey cutie! it must be cold that morning. and you know what? the snow just matched your pure white fur so nicely. :-)

*pet head* ^_^

bonnie said...

Far too cute!

I had a lovely little Shetland Sheepdog when I was a kid. She was born on Oahu & spent her first few years there so when we moved to Washington State, she went through the same "What the heck?" sort of thing. But she got to like it. I used to get far more amusement then I like to admit to by throwing snowballs for her to chase or catch (she loved playing fetch). Very loosely packed, so they'd fall apart either when they landed or when she got them in her teeth, to her total confusion. But then she'd always look back to me eventually, wagging her tail & with a look that said "OK, you fooled me again, it isn't over here at all and I bet you still have it, throw it again!" - which of course I would.

I still miss that dog.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

YD - thank you. Several wags of the tail and a lick to you face.

Bonnie. Thanks. I'm glad this brought back fond memories to you. Your doggy didn't mind being fooled, having your attention and play time made her happy.

FH2O said...

Good doggy momo, forget about the weird white stuff! Come hop into my boat and we can go enjoy the warm sunshine, listen to the chirping of the birds but keep your paws out of the water! Good boy!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Keep the crocs away and you've got a date, FH2O.

Oh, and it's good "girl". wag wag lick

Bodhi said...

Momo, remember to keep warm or else if you got a canine cough.. then it will be bad.

also heard that dog flu is in season too.. so, can u ask your slave to let you wear a sweater?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Thank you Bodhi. Good idea. I'll suggest that to them.

I envy your nice house in a warm climate.

I have a good winter coat which the servants maintain and keep clean, and a warm house, but when we go for walks it might be good sometimes to have some extra warmth by wearing a sweater.

February is the coldest month here, so the suggestion is well timed.

Arf arf. Wag wag.

Bodhi said...

I have a warm house, which my slave turn on the air con to cool it down.

I allow my slave and the rest of my furfur friends to share my king size bed at night only if he rubs my neck and massage my back every morning.

When shopping for sweater, remember to buy something to keep the neck warm and if possible, some booty would be nice too.. too white stuff looks cold.. (trust me, I came from Tibet)

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

'Happy to report the white stuff only lasted a few hours. I don't go out in it or when it rains, so booties not required. If I lived in Japan's "snow country" it would be a different matter.

It is those inferior humans who have evolved themselves into a corner - little or no fur, no paws with good pads or claws - who can't survive without silly things like clothes and shoes. Dogs rule. The humans willingly submit to us canines. They are weak - body and mind. We have to do what we can to keep them happy so they will continue to serve us.

Sounds like you have it very good there.

Thanks for the suggestions Bodhi.

Robin said...

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves
himself.
-Josh Billings

Pandabonium said...

So true Robin. In fact, canines developed the survival strategy to befriend humans thousands of years ago. Those wolves who were brave enough to hang around human camps got fed. Eventually, this led to domestication of dogs and diversity into to the hundreds of breeds of dogs we see today. The dogs offer various service to humans - herding, hunting, guarding, and even just loyal companionship - in return for being totally cared for. An intersting example of symbiosis.

"Happiness is a warm puppy." - Charles Schutz

The Moody Minstrel said...

Of course, pack animal instincts (i.e. submission and devotion to those of higher echolons) are always helpful, too.

Poor Momo! Her world broke!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Yeah, Moody, it was quite a shock to me.

Are you refering to the "pack animal instincts (i.e. submission and devotion to those of higher echolons)" of us canines or of you humans?

Both species exhibit this trait. Seems it is good for the survival of canis lupus, but leads to a lot of destruction as practiced by humans.

arf arg, lick lick, paws on pants.