2005/11/30

Moody Minstrel vs Momo The Wonder Dog

A title fit for a 'clash of titans' kind of movie such as Godzilla vs Mothera - Godzilla being the Americanization of the Japanese "Gojira", which was a combination of gorilla (gorira) and whale (kujira). Bad form to digress in the first line of my post, I know. Sorry. Now on to the exciting story.....

The Moody Minstrel has finally met Momo The Wonder Dog - face to snout, toe to paw, mano a pato, homosapiens to canis lupis. Moody was returning a book and also bringing a ticket I needed to purchase to the next Kashima Philharmonic Orchestra concert, which will be held December 11th. K already had her ticket as she pre-paid for it at the time of the last concert that I participated in.

To my utter amazement, Momo not only did not bark at the Moody Minstrel, she laid down before his feet, supplicating him for favor. Some watchdog. (The static electric shock he unintentionally gave her nose when he first reached down to pet her may have had something to do with that. She may have thought, "wow!, this guy has a taser built into his index finger, I'd better be doggone careful").

After giving him her approval and receiving sufficient attention and petting, she retreated to her dog house, but later came back for some more petting and scratches behind the ears.

This is more proof - as if any were needed - that "music hath charms to soothe the savage breast", sometimes without a single note actually being played.

Or maybe she was just in awe of the BLUE RAV4 that appeared in her driveway and imagined herself in the front passenger seat, Stan Getz playing on the stereo, front paws on the window sill, her head out the window, nose gathering every scent, ears flapping in the breeze. Dream on dog!

Fortunately it was a fine day as Moody and Pandabonium were confined to the driveway during their conversation because K woke up with flu this morning and we didn't want to pass it on. So Momo heard everything that was said, like a Gary Larsen cartoon perhaps: "blah blah blah blah MOMO blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah WALK blah blah blah MOMO" etc.

Momo did leave an impression on Moody, if only in the form of her dusty paw prints on his pants (could have been much worse, Moody). It is her signature move: 1) supplicate; 2) befriend; 3) jump on pants. Moody has been now been initiated into her inner circle and shall henceforth be greeted at our home accordingly.

We only hope he will accept our invitation to return after this.

9 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Oh, Momo was great! I don't mind a little bit of dust on my thigh from a shin-high bundle of joy! (Having a [friendly] pit bull jump up on me and nearly knock me over...with muddy paws, no less...when I was younger and smaller...now THAT was a totally different story!) I was more worried about running over her when I pulled my BLUE RAV4 (George Harrison on the stereo) into the driveway.

I don't know what it is about me and dogs. There is one that runs around our neighborhood that sometimes follows me around barking but ignores everyone else. Back when I worked at Kashima High School (1990-1993) there was a dachshund at a nearby house that sat there passively as all those students walked by, but as soon as I came it would wait until I passed and then immediately yap loudly (making me jump) and launch itself at my heels. And then there's Jeff Nicholson's beagle, Buddy, who goes nuts whenever I visit his Kawasaki flat and then curls up next to me (head in my lap) when I sit on the sofa.

The funny thing is that I have rarely kept a dog and always had bad luck when I tried.

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Maybe your ZEN are changing, Moody! Cheers :)

It must be a good gathering for both of you, how nice!

YD said...

hehe moody did u learn to speak doggy language? currently in my house, there are 3 of us who started communicating via cat language. We speak in 'meow's and also manage to sing and harmonise using 'meow's. One other housemate nearly banned us from her room, and the downstairs neighbours moved out just last week... I wonder...

with the festive season coming in, we've made a pact to do xmas carol by meows. :-)

Pandabonium said...

I can see the headline now YD - Dateline LONDON - "Meowing LSE Students Arrested for Disturbing the Peace, Cat Fight Ensues". :^)

I am working on a new line of clothing which will have muddy paw prints pre-printed on them. They will carry a designer label of course: "Momo"

The Moody Minstrel said...

Meow?

Bagaimana untuk cakap ini dalam bahasa malaysia?

Minta maaf. Saya tidak faham.

YD said...

ARGH!!! clark kent speaking Malay!??!?!?!

Kuching mengiau
(Cat meows)

This word 'mengiau' does exist, i think. hehehe... check the dictionary.

Saya tidak faham juga, Encik Clark.

Momo The Wonder Dog said...

WOOF! YD Woof woof woof woof woof. Moody Grrrr woooooof! Arf yap yap YD woof woof grrrowwwllll. Clark Arf arf arf.

Ndau said...

Ndau, ndau ndau, "ndau," ndau?

YD said...

meow??? momo! *MUAKS*!!!!